Have you looked in the mirror lately and thought how straighter teeth and better alignment would improve your overall smile and give you more confidence?
One of the many reasons patients consider braces is to improve the appearance of their teeth. However, braces also improve your overall oral health, correct biting, and chewing problems, improve speech, and help prevent any further problems from developing.
If you are considering getting braces, look at the signs and symptoms that indicate the need for braces and consult with an orthodontist to determine if treatment is appropriate for you.
How do you know if you need braces? Here are some common indications.
Indications You Need Braces
There are several signs that you may need braces, such as early loss of baby teeth, late blooming adult teeth, and missing or extra teeth. Some of the most common signs and symptoms include:
- Crooked or misaligned teeth: If your teeth are not straight or aligned correctly, braces may be necessary to correct the alignment.
- Overbite, underbite, or crossbite: These common problems can be corrected with braces. An overbite occurs when the top teeth overlap the bottom teeth too much, an underbite occurs when the bottom teeth protrude beyond the top teeth, and a crossbite occurs when the top and bottom teeth do not align properly.
- Crowded teeth: If your teeth are crowded or overlap each other, braces can help to correct the spacing and alignment of your teeth.
- Protruding teeth: If your teeth stick out too far, they may be more prone to injury and may also affect your appearance. Braces can help to move the teeth back into a more normal position.
If you are concerned about the alignment of your teeth, it is important to see an orthodontist for an evaluation. As a dental specialist who is trained in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of dental and facial irregularities, orthodontists can help determine if braces are necessary and recommend the appropriate treatment for your specific needs.
At What Age Are Braces Considered?
Is there a “right age” for braces?
It varies depending on the individual's specific needs and circumstances. Generally, it is recommended that children have an orthodontic evaluation by the age of 7. At this age, many children have a mix of baby teeth and adult teeth, which can make it easier for the orthodontist to identify problems and determine the best treatment plan.
However, it is not uncommon for adults to also benefit from braces. In fact, about one in five orthodontic patients are adults.
Orthodontic treatment can be successful at any age as long as the teeth and gums are healthy. The key is to address problems early on, as this can often lead to shorter treatment times and better overall results.
The Treatment Process for Braces
If you are considering getting braces, and your symptoms qualify you for braces, you want to understand what to expect from the treatment process. Here are the general steps to expect:
- Consultation: During the initial consultation, the orthodontist will examine your teeth, mouth, and jaw and take X-rays and impressions to create a treatment plan. They will also discuss the options available to you and the estimated length of treatment.
- Placing the braces: To begin treatment, the orthodontist will place the braces on your teeth. This process typically involves attaching metal brackets to the front of your teeth and running a wire through them. The wire is then secured with elastic bands.
- Adjustments: During the course of treatment, you will need to visit the orthodontist regularly for adjustments. These visits typically involve tightening the wire and replacing the elastic bands to move your teeth into the correct position gradually.
- Removing the braces: Once your teeth are in the correct position, the orthodontist will remove the braces. You will then be fitted with a retainer, which is a removable appliance that helps to keep your teeth in their new position.
Remember, the length of treatment with braces varies depending on the individual's specific needs and the complexity of their case.
Find Braces Treatment at Dental Wellness Team
We offer a full orthodontic case for $3,999. In addition, a $167/month payment plan may be available for qualified customers with credit approval.
No matter your age or concern, Dental Wellness Team offers a braces treatment plan that will work for you and your unique situation!