Dental implants are becoming more common as a replacement option for missing or damaged teeth. Most dentists recommend dental implants over other dental prosthetics because of their many benefits. They are considered to be the highest quality tooth replacement option available, which is why they tend to come at a higher cost.
A common question that arises in discussions about dental implants is whether or not they are covered by dental insurance. Learn what insurance coverage is available for dental implants and what to do if your insurance doesn’t cover them.
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is surgically placed in the jaw bone. It is a titanium post shaped like a screw that fuses with the bone tissue to form a solid bond that can last a lifetime. One implant can provide support for a single artificial tooth. Multiple dental implants can support a bridge or dentures.
Are Dental Implants Covered By Dental Insurance?
The average dental insurance plan may not cover dental implants. However, some insurance plans are starting to include coverage for dental implants due to high demand and the many dental, oral, and overall health benefits. These plans may come with a higher premium, but if you know dental implants may be in your future, the plan could save you a lot of money.
Does Medical Insurance Cover Dental Implants?
In some cases, medical insurance will cover the implant portion of a dental implant restoration, but not the prosthesis. This is because dental implants preserve bone density in the jaw, which is a health benefit. They also improve nutrition, which can have a positive impact on overall health and wellness.
Are Dental Implants Covered By Medicare?
Basic Medicare does not cover dental implants because it does not include dental coverage at all. Medicare Advantage plans can include dental coverage if you are willing to pay the premium that is required for the additional coverage. You can choose a plan that includes coverage for dental implants if you plan to get them at any point.
How Can I Afford Dental Implants Without Insurance?
If you need to replace one or more teeth and your best option is dental implants, there are ways to make them more affordable without insurance.
- Flexible payment options. We offer flexible payment options so that you can pay with a variety of credit cards.
- Payment plans. We can set up a payment plan to allow you to make affordable payments over time.
- FSA and HSA funds. If your medical insurance plan includes an FSA (Flexible Spending Account) or an HSA (Health Savings Account), you can use those funds for dental implants and other dental services.
- CareCredit. Financing through CareCredit allows you to finance the full amount and make payments with 0% interest for a promotional period.
Are Dental Implants Worth It?
Dental implants are the highest quality tooth replacement option because of their many benefits:
- Natural function. Dental implants function as closely as possible to your natural teeth.
- Natural appearance. Dental implants look natural because they are anchored in the jaw in a similar manner to your natural teeth.
- Lasts a lifetime. Once a dental implant has fused with the bone in your jaw, the bond can last for the rest of your life.
- Prevents bone loss. Dental implants prevent bone loss in your jaw by keeping it from resorbing, or dissolving in the absence of a tooth.
An investment in dental implants is an investment in your dental health for a lifetime.
Schedule a Dental Implant Consultation Today
If you are interested in dental implants, the first step is a consultation with Dental Wellness Team. We can assess the current health of your teeth and jaw to determine if dental implants are the right tooth replacement option for you. We work with most major insurance providers and offer many payment options to make dental implants affordable for all patients who need them.
Call [df-phone-number1 dflink="true"] or contact us today to learn more and schedule an appointment.